Music Broadcasting Society of New South Wales Co-operative Limited, ABN 64 379 540 010 (we, our, us) recognise the importance of protecting the privacy and the rights of individuals in relation to their personal information.
We respect your rights to privacy under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Act) and we comply with all the Act’s requirements in respect of the collection, management and disclosure of your personal information.
If you are under 18, please ask your parent or guardian to review this policy before providing us with your personal information.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us.
What is your personal information?
What personal information do we collect and hold?
We may collect the following types of personal information:
- Identifiers such as your name, mailing or street address, email address, telephone number, facsimile number, age or birth date, profession, occupation or job title;
- Details of the products and services you have purchased from us or which you have enquired about, together with any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and to respond to your enquiries, including financial information;
- Any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our websites or indirectly through use of our websites or online presence, through our representatives or otherwise; and
- Information you provide to us through our various membership and subscription options, customer surveys, event registration, and promotion entries.
We may also collect some information that is not personal information because it does not identify you or anyone else. For example, we may collect anonymous answers to surveys or aggregated information about how users use our website.
How do we collect your personal information?
Directly from you
- Interact with us over the phone, in writing, in person or online (including via our website or social media); or
- Attend our events or go to our office.
Automatically through your use of our website, products or services
- When you make a purchase, renew a subscription, make a donation, or leave a bequest;
- When you enter a competition or promotion; or
- When you apply for an Award or Scholarship.
From other sources
- People with permission from you to give us your information (such as family members);
- Service providers that work with us, like companies that help us provide products and services to you; and
- Recruitment agencies, previous employers or referees.
We may log IP addresses (that is, the electronic addresses of computers connected to the internet) to analyse trends, administer the website, track users’ movements, and gather broad demographic information.
What happens if we can’t collect your personal information?
If you do not provide us with the personal information described above, some or all the following may happen:
- We may not be able to provide the requested products or services to you, either to the same standard or at all;
- We may not be able to provide you with information about products and services that you may want, including information about discounts, sales, or special promotions; or
- We may be unable to tailor the content of our websites to your preferences and your experience of our websites may not be as enjoyable or useful.
For what purposes do we collect, hold, use, and disclose your personal information?
- To perform our business activities and functions and to provide the best possible quality of customer service;
- To provide products and services to you and to send communications requested by you;
- To answer enquiries and provide information or advice about existing and new products or services;
- To provide you with access to protected areas of our website;
- To assess the performance of the website and to improve the operation of the website;
- To conduct business processing functions including providing personal information to our service providers or other third parties;
- To update our records and keep your contact details up to date; and
- To process and respond to any complaint made by you.
Marketing and Analytics
- To communicate with you (including via direct marketing with your prior consent) to market products and services we think might interest you (including those from our selected partners);
- To develop products and services that may be of interest to you;
- To communicate with you when you have previously expressed an interest in our products or services; and
- To conduct competitions or trade promotions, including with selected partners.
- To comply with any law, rule, regulation, lawful and binding determination, decision or direction of a regulator, or in co-operation with any governmental authority of any country.
To whom may we disclose your information?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- our employees, contractors or service providers for the purposes of operation of our website or our business, fulfilling requests by you, and to otherwise provide products and services to you including, without limitation, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants;
- suppliers and other third parties with whom we have commercial relationships, for business, marketing, and related purposes; and
- any other organisation with your consent.
When we share your information, we put measures in place to ensure your information is kept confidential, used securely and used only for the purposes outlined above.
In some cases, we may share your information with organisations located overseas (including the United States) for the purposes listed in the section above.
Direct marketing materials
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about our products and services that we consider may be of interest to you. These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS, and email.
If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavor to use that method whenever practical to do so. In addition, at any time you may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by contacting us (see the details below) or by using opt-out facilities provided in the marketing communications and we will then ensure that your name is removed from our mailing list.
We do not provide your personal information to other organisations for the purposes of direct marketing.
How can you access and correct your personal information?
You may request access to any personal information we hold about you at any time by contacting us (see the details below). Where we hold information that you are entitled to access, we will try to provide you with suitable means of accessing it (for example, by mailing or emailing it to you).
We will not charge for simply making the request and will not charge for making any corrections to your personal information.
There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, we will give you written reasons for any refusal.
If you believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request us to amend it. We will consider if the information requires amendment. If we do not agree that there are grounds for amendment, then we will add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree with it.
What is the process for making a complaint?
If you have a complaint about a breach of the Act, the Australian Privacy Principles or any other privacy code which may bind us or how we have handled your personal information, you may contact our Privacy Officer using the contact information below.
We request that all complaints be made in writing, so we can be sure about the details of the complaint. We will attempt to confirm as appropriate and necessary with your understanding of the conduct relevant to the complaint and what you expect as an outcome. We will inform you about whether we will conduct an investigation, the name, title, and contact details of the investigating officer and the estimated completion date for the investigation process.
After we have completed our enquiries, we will contact you, usually in writing, to advise the outcome and invite a response to our conclusions about the complaint. If we receive a response from you, we will assess it and advise if we have changed our view.
If we can’t resolve your complaint, you may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
We take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is protected from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification, or disclosure.
We may hold your information in either electronic or hard copy form. Personal information is destroyed or de-identified once it is no longer needed for the purposes for which it may be used or disclosed under the Act.
As our website is linked to the internet, and the internet is inherently insecure, we cannot provide any assurance regarding the security of transmission of information you communicate to us online. We also cannot guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the internet.
Our website may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party website and we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third party website. Third party websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
We will treat your requests or complaints confidentially. Our representative will contact you within a reasonable time after receipt of your complaint to discuss your concerns and outline options regarding how they may be resolved. We will aim to ensure that your complaint is resolved in timely and appropriate manner.
Please contact our Privacy Officer at:
Tel – 02 9439 4777
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org