Meet our current Kruger Scholar Xiaokang Zhang
About the Scholarship
The 2MBS Fine Music Sydney Stefan Kruger Scholarship supports young, outstanding individuals further their career in the field of classical music. This annual scholarship is made possible through the generous bequest of passionate music lover, Dr Stefan Kruger. 2MBS Fine Music Sydney would like to thank Gerard Willems AM and Amelia Farrugia for accepting positions on The 2023 Kruger Scholarship judging panel,
Valued at $13,000, the 2023 Stefan Kruger Scholar will receive:
An $8000 cash component.
A $5000 in-kind support component for promotional and broadcast support on 2MBS Fine Music Sydney.
Access to the Fine Music Founders’ Studio for rehearsals.
Volunteers and Staff of 2MBS Fine Music Sydney are not eligible to apply for the scholarship.
Applicants must be:
- Between the ages of 18 and 30 on 1 July in the year of application
- An Australian citizen, with a principal residence in Sydney and its environs
The scholarship is not a performance competition and will be awarded to the applicant who best meets the following criteria:
- The applicant has actively demonstrated the interest, commitment and potential to have a viable career in the performance or composition of classical music.
- The applicant has identified a detailed project or activity with the potential to significantly enhance the applicant’s career.
- The applicant has effectively demonstrated the potential value of the scholarship in terms of realising their project and proceeding with the project on a timely basis.
- The applicant has demonstrated how they envisage involving Fine Music in the project in addition to broadcasting opportunities and how they will acknowledge the station’s support.
Applications close on 31 October 2022. Applicants must complete and submit all materials using the online entry form. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applicants must provide the names and contact details of two referees who have worked with the applicant in an educational or professional field. Written references and testimonials will not be accepted.
- A budget indicating how the $8000 cash component will be spent, highlighting any other support the applicant has secured or aims to secure for the project.
- Provide a link(s) to unedited recordings of the applicant’s performance or broadcast. It must demonstrate the applicant’s ability to perform in relation to the application. It does not need to be part of a proposed final concert performance or project work.
- Supporting documentation including musical sketches and scores to show proof of concept for a proposed project.
- If selected as a finalist, the applicant may be invited to a follow-up interview or audition. If the applicant is not able to attend an interview in person due to extenuating circumstances, an alternative telephone, Zoom interview may be arranged (at the discretion of the Chair of the Judging panel).
- The applicant must sign an agreement with 2MBS Fine Music Sydney acknowledging and accepting the Terms and Conditions governing the 2MBS Fine Music Sydney Stefan Kruger Scholarship.
Meet Xiaokang Zhang, our current Kruger Scholar
The applications received were of the highest order and after much discussion, it was decided to award the scholarship to pianist and composer Xiaokang Zhang.
As part of the his project, he hopes to complete his Piano Concert, a set of 24 Fugues and further refine and develop skills in the craft of musical construction both in miniatures and large-scale forms.